Sunday, July 25, 2010

Turning the Boys of Summer into Kings of the Fall

Right now, bucks are still running in bachelor groups and still being pretty social with each other...given another month, all that will change! Each one of those bucks will soon be looking for their own territory to rule, and looking for female companionship...which means the social networking they are doing now will become more of a UFC style beat down if one buck invades the area of another.

Using my past experiences with bucks helped me determine where to put my Monster Raxx sites out. During the summer, I place several sites in community areas next to food plots, water sources and bedding areas. We all know that their travel patterns and hang outs will soon change, and when they do I am ready for them. I generally know where my hit list bucks will move to, judging by where I see them the later part of the past couple of years. I usually set a mineral site in their fall hang outs as well, knowing that even though the bucks are usually done with mineral sites by the time season opens and the rut starts to approach...the doe are constant users. By making sites in fall and winter time hang outs, eventually there will be some hot doe's using the sites and the bucks will be checking them periodically, hopefully when I'm 20 feet in a nearby tree to deliver a carbon missle at 290 fps!

No comments:

Post a Comment