Thursday, October 14, 2010

Setting Goals


Season is well under way with the weather finally breaking here in South central IA. I was beginning to think that summer was never going to end. With that being said, our bow season has been going since Oct 1. Every year I set goals for my self of what I want to accomplish. Some times I meet them, some times I do not. Last year for instance the goal was set to shoot a monster buck. Due to the size of deer I had on video and on trail cams I set my gaols very high. I wanted one of the BIG boys I had been seeing. Last year brought many deer past me in my stand. some of which were very impressive by anyones standards. One deer I had 3 opportunities at I could have killed. This deer was actually bigger than anything I have previously shot. However, I was holding out for a true GIANT. Well by some standards I ate a tag sandwich that season. For me I knew I gave it my all and could not have enjoyed my season more. There are other years I set my goal on harvesting a particular deer which I was successful in pulling off.

This year is new season and with it I have set a new goal. This year I have the goal of harvesting a deer for the first time with traditional tackle. A Fred Bear Grizzly recurve bow, shooting arrows made by my best friend who got me in to traditional archery. The arrows have fletching made with real turkey feathers from a bird I harvested a couple years back tipped with an actual stone point made by another friend of mine whom is a flint napper. Now I am not out to kill any particular deer. In fact, I am shooting what ever I can get close enough to make a comfortable shot as I have antlerless tags to fill as well and there are too many does on my farm. If this goal can be reached, I would rank it as one of my highest personal accomplishments in bow hunting. Maybe not for some, but it would be for me. Now on the flip side I will still hunt during the rut with my new Destroyer for a BIG boy, but for now I am content hunting for the antlerless deer or right buck that comes with in my acceptable range of Fred Bear Bow.

Regardless of what your goal would be, I challenge you to set goals to shoot for this season. You may find it will add to your hunt and make the overall experience more rewarding.
PS: notice the pic of the doe coming to the Monster Raxx Magnet. This stuff is unbelievable!








No comments:

Post a Comment